Tuesday, December 7, 2010

From Betty-Lou Souter

Twice a year, at our conferences, we present a Communications and Leadership Award.  What is it?  It is the highest Toastmasters award available for the District to present to a non-Toastmaster.  The award is presented to a person who has made an outstanding contribution in the community through communication and leadership, such as a media person, a provincial or local politician, a business person or a community volunteer. 

This past fall, the winner of this award was Betty-Lou Souter, CEO Community Care for St. Catharines and Thorold.  Read all about her at:












Dear District Governor Merri:

Well, I am still overwhelmed with the very positive and warm response I received at the District Conference 2 weeks ago - to say nothing of the tremendous recognition given me with the Communication and Leadership Award for 2010.  It was very powerful.

Many of my friends and family have inquired if I was intimidated in speaking to such a large group of "professional" speech makers and I have reassured them that everyone should have the opportunity to speak before such a welcoming group.  Any fears or concerns one might have about public speaking was definitely taken away.

I hope my remarks were meaningful to the group.  My preparation certainly gave me time to reflect on my mother's teachings that "if you master the art of public speaking - there really isn't anything you can't do."  Certainly you had a room full of very confident people who have learned similar lessons.

Again, thank you for recognizing me in such a tangible way.  Please express my sincere thanks to David Wiebe as well for nominating me.

Most sincerely,

Betty-Lou Souter

***

I would like to thank Betty-Lou for allowing me to share this with you. 

Merri




No comments:

Post a Comment